Gagner Law
Free Consultation 206-579-6371
3227 Beacon Avenue S, Unit D1, Seattle, WA 98144

Protecting Your License After a DUI arrest

What’s going to happen to my license?

It’s imperative that you contact an experienced DUI attorney right away to help protect your driver’s license. Most people fail to realize that the Department of Licensing (DOL) does not wait until you have been criminally charged to begin the suspension process.

If the Officer/Trooper punched a hole in your driver’s license, it means DOL will likely suspend or revoke your license beginning 60 days from the date you were arrested for DUI. You have a right to request a hearing to contest this suspension. However, you must make this request within 20 calendar days from the date of your arrest. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your case, DOL may suspend your driving privilege anywhere from 90 days to 4 years. Gagner Law will help you navigate the murky waters of a DOL license hearing. Call for a free consultation.

Ignition Interlock Device

An ignition interlock device (IID) is an apparatus that prevents your car from starting it if detects alcohol on your breath. If you’ve been charged with DUI, there are several situations that may require you to install an IID in your vehicle. First, the Judge may require it as a condition of pre-trial release. Second, it may be a condition of plea negotiations or of your final sentence if you are convicted of DUI. Finally, it may be a condition of obtaining an ignition interlock license.

  • Ignition Interlock Providers
    • Affordable Ignition Interlock (800-328-9890)
    • Autosafe (900-977-0091)
    • Autosense (877-256-9246)
    • Ignition Interlock Northwest (877-867-9888)
    • Sens-O-Lock (888-227-8278)
    • Smart Start (877-227-8278)

Ignition Interlock License

If DOL suspends your driver’s license as a result of DUI, you may be eligible to obtain an ignition interlock license (IIL). This license will permit you to drive 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for any reason (a big change from recent law, which only allowed you to use your IIL to drive back and forth between work, school, your treatment provider, court-ordered community service, etc.).

In order to acquire an IIL, you must a) file a formal application with DOL b) pay a $100 application fee c) install an ignition interlock device on any and all vehicles you are driving (if your occupation requires you to drive an employer-owned vehicle, you will need to fill out the Employer Declaration/Waiver and d) obtain SR-22 Insurance.

Contact Gagner Law right away for questions regarding the status of your driver’s license, and for assistance maneuvering through the complicated DOL rules and requirements.

DOL Forms

SR-22 Insurance Providers

Do you need help?
Contact us today